Monday, 14 January 2013

Response to Kist's A Socially Networked Classroom



In order for a 21st century classroom, or 21st century school library to exist, we must re frame the way in which society views education. As Kist says in the foreword to his book The Socially Networked Classroom, most principals (and likely people in general) can easily generate a list of what will make a person successful in a typical classroom setting, but this list is archaic and does not take into account today’s modern age. The world and technology have changed rapidly, yet schools are only really beginning to dabble in integrating technology into schools. Because this integration is still weak overall, it is easy to see why Kist and many other educators wonder if high schools really prepare out students for the real world where being tech. savvy is key to success.


The big question that runs throughout Kist’s book and was also a big topic of conversation within our discussion was the doozy “How do we create a classroom as big as the world?” (x). I wonder if it is even possible! While introducing technology into schools is a noble goal, it is also important to remember that just throwing in some fancy technology isn’t enough to engage students, or to make lessons pertinent. In order to be true global citizens, students must not only become technologically literate, but also critical of the world and the modern resources which surround them. Classroom activities also need to have a purpose, aside from simply being modern in their delivery. I always think (and perhaps this is a terrible analogy, but) why make a Prezi, when Power Point is just as good, albeit not as modern.


But back to the issue at hand, school needs to be useful and relatable, but as I argued in my discussion post, isn’t there something nice about keeping students sheltered from the big bad real world until it is the time for them to spread their wings and leave the protective doors of their schools? Is it possible to make a classroom “as big as the world” while keeping students safe and parents happy? Given that the Internet is a relatively new invention, how can we prove to administrators and parents alike that our library wish lists for Ipads, new computers and the newest computer programs are justifiable? How can we explain to parents that twittering can be educational, or that playing games is better than simply filling out a worksheet? I am not sure that I can even begin to answer this...


Now, don’t get me wrong, I absolutely one hundred percent stand behind technology being used in the classroom and the list of characteristics which Kist describes as creating a “new literacies classroom” are drool-worthy. I have always aspired to use tech in my classroom and this was made significantly easier during my time in China because every single classroom was equipped with a LCD projector. Granted, not all schools are so lucky, and my school had its faults as books were few and far between, as were computer labs. They were however working towards a laptop program wherein every single student would have a laptop to bring to his or her classes. Unfortunately, in their first year, these laptops were underused by teachers just struggling to stay afloat in the day to day grind, and also frequently caused our server to crash as students spent every waking minute playing League of Legends or World of Warcraft instead of using the computers for educational purposes.


I still remain optimistic that there will come a day where gaming in the classroom will be more than just students using their school purchased computers for fooling around. I know that I have lots of ideas for games which are lower-budget (ie. jeopardy) but I would like to discover more ways to use computer based games in my classroom. Again, it is largely a matter of finding the time to discover new resources, and/or to create them ourselves (like Kist did with his book). We also really need to convince parents that even when “fun things” happen during class time, that students are still learning, and in many cases are probably learning more. We also need the money and resources to make our big ideas possible.


All in all, I am excited to read more of Kist’s book and I am also excited to hear from more of my classmates on resources they have used/games they have played/technologies they have found useful, because even after one discussion, I have a list of ideas for the future. Above all else, students must still learn the basics of reading and writing, but there is no reason why these cannot be done using computers and other more modern methods. Hopefully one day Kist’s description of a new literacies classroom will be the norm as teachers and parents alike stop trapping education inside of its 1,000 year old box
.







1 comment:

  1. A really insightful post that asks some very petitent questions. Some of which I can attempt to answer, some, we many never know the solution. I do agree with your point to never implement technology just for the sake of said technology. There needs to be a purpose.

    As to your other comments about making the classroom as big as the world, I don't think its a on/off switch, with either your classroom fully open, or fully closed. Its more of a continum with many classrooms along the spectrum. Early elementary, not very much interaction or activity online, but secondary, should have more understanding and awareness, even community involvement. Some elementary examples I've heard involve pairing up with a same grade classroom in a different country and having regular skype calls (organized and managed by the teacher) to allow the classes to talk to each other and ask questions about their country and classroom.

    In Secondary, I heard of many Social Studies and History classrooms monitoring twitter during the Arab Spring revolutions in Egypt and other countries to see democracy and political action in real-time, connecting with their issues and their struggles.

    All of these activities can be done safely and offer tremendous learning opportunities. Its just very new, and hard for many parents to see or view the opportunities when their are also potential pitfalls. Thats where we, as professional educators can come in and explain, demonstrate, role-model and design the best learning opportunities.

    Thanks for this great post! Looking forward to many more!

    ReplyDelete